Catholicism is a Christian religion that views the Pope in New Rome as the head of faith. It is found throughout the Great Plains and the Midwest and is a major religion in the mod.
According to legend and prophecy, Petrus Romanus, the last pope in Rome, would cause the destruction of the Eternal City. When the Event occurred, all forms of advanced communication were lost. Subsequently, this meant that Catholics in America had lost contact with the Holy See in Rome. The Prophecy of the Popes was considered to have come true. Due to the need for a Catholic head of faith, the leading Catholic bishops of the Americas elected their own Pope in the city of St. Louis. St. Louis was promptly rechristened into 'New Rome' and the new Pope who resided there took over responsibility as the Catholic head of faith. In the face of post-Event upheavals, most Catholics readily recognized the new Pope's power. However, not everything was so harmonious. One group of Catholics, the Sedevacantists, refused to recognize the authority of the Pope in New Rome and continued to view the Papacy as being vacant due to lost contact with Old Rome. Another group, the Neo-Gnostics, emerged in Colorado as a fusion of Catholic and Californian Cetic teachings and refused to respect the Pope's authority as religious head. Finally, the Catholics of Quebec also refused to recognize the authority of the Pope in New Rome and instead turned to the local matriarchal Ursuline Order for religious guidance. The only time the Ursulines of Quebec were united with mainstream Catholicism was during the Papacy of the Ursuline Pope and Abbess-General Agrippine 'the Maid'.
List of Popes Edit
- Petrus Romanus is a Pope shrouded in legend. Some say he is just a myth, but other say he was a real Pope who caused the destruction of Old Rome and lived to the wickedly old age of 666.
- Abraham was the legendary recorded first Pope of New Rome. Pope Abraham hailed from the Washington area and was elected the first Pope of New Rome by the new College of Cardinals in St. Louis.
- Adam I was the second legendary recorded Pope of New Rome.
- Samuel was the third legendary recorded Pope of New Rome.
- Redeemed I
- Hallelujah I
- Adam II
- Righteous I
- Redeemed II
- Hallelujah II
- Redeemed III
- Barnabas I
- Agrippine 'the Maid'
- Barnabas II
- Righteous II
Holy Sites Edit
The Catholic Church has five holy sites:
- St. Louis
- San Antonio
Two of the five sites, Chicago and St. Louis, are held by members of the mainstream Catholic faith. The other three are held by either heretics or heathens. Denver is held by members of the Neo-Gnostic heresy. Washington is held by members of the Americanist faith. San Antonio is a unique situation, having a mostly Sagrado Corazon populace with an Americanist ruling class in the Tribe of Airmen.
The Catholic Church's unique mechanic is the Papacy. The Papacy in the mod works effectively the same way as the Papacy in vanilla. Mechanics include:
- There is always a Pope, even if New Rome falls.
- The Pope can grant divorces.
- The Pope can grant Invasion Casus Belli.
- The Pope can Excommunicate characters.
- Catholic rulers can set up Antipopes.
- Catholic Bishops may pay tax to the Pope rather than their secular liege.
- The Pope can call crusades.
Catholicism in the mod has two heresies:
Realms at Start of Game Edit
- Fort Smith
- Great River
- Itta Homma
- Lead Belt
- Little Egypt
- The Longhorn Realm
- The Papacy
- The Quad Cities